Friday 23 March 2018

Knitscene Spring 2018: A Review


Today we're going to have a look at Knitscene's Spring 2018 issue.





Aberdeen Pullover. Not bad for a casual look. I'd fix the dropped shoulders, neaten up the fit a little, and probably add waist shaping.





Bonn Vest. I see beauty in the delicate, diaphanous texture of this piece, but perhaps not wearability given that I have questions about how well it sits. I'm finding it pretty suspect that there isn't a single front view photograph of this design on its Ravelry page, and am inclined to think that this design isn't a flattering vest so much as a beautiful lace curtain with armholes.





Broome Turtleneck Vest. A classic ribbed turtleneck vest given a fresh look with some young, contemporary styling.





Carollton Top. A basic tee. The cropped length won't be for every woman but that's easily corrected.





Cherry Blossom Cardigan. Poor shaping can make the difference between a frumpy cardigan and an attractive one. I'd fix the dropped shoulders on this and neaten up the fit and shaping.





Cotswold Sweater. I like the design twist of putting the beautiful lace work on the back of the sweater, making the front plain, and adding triangular sections of garter stitch. It gives this attractive sweater a touch of the unexpected.





Fullteron Sweater. I'd fix the dropped shoulders on this one, and neaten up the fit a touch.





Heckerling Pullover. I'm liking the texture of this one, and the neckline and raglan sleeves. I'm not a fan of the boxy crop length, but if you would also prefer a more fitted shape and standard length, it would be easy to fix that.





Hillwood Sweatshirt. This is kind of fun in its way. It mimics a kid's sweatshirt but isn't too childish for a grown woman to wear. Ordinarily I'd advise fixing the dropped shoulders, but in this case they kind of work with the colour blocking.





Lea Mills Thermal. This pullover was inspired by thermal undershirts, and I must admit the designer recreated the waffle pattern of a thermal undershirt to good effect, while adding some flattering shape. The result is an attractive and wearable piece.





Midtown Pullover. I quite like this one, with a few minor quibbles: I would make the sleeve stripe some combination of green and light gray rather than merely green; and I would work the v of the v-neck differently so that it doesn't look like it has a run in the centre of it.





Palouse Top. This has such a pretty, airy, graceful effect. I love the shaping and the lacework.





Provence Wrap Sweater. The lines of the wrap effect on this sweater work really well. The seam in the middle of the sleeve is striking me as awkward, but I don't see how one could fix it without interfering with the wrap effect. Instead, I think I might just leave the sleeves elbow length, and finish them off with a rib cuff.





Savannah Pullover. I'm really not liking that unfinished-looking, off-the-shoulder neckline, or the awkward bracelet-length sleeves. I guess I like, um, the lace detail at the bottom?





Verona Top. If you would like a sheer mohair pullover to wear over a pretty camisole or other lingerie-turned-outerwear type top, this isn't bad. I'd fix the dropped shoulders though.





Wilmington Pullover. Knitscene has really gone all out on the boxy crop top designs in this issue. I don't happen to think it's a length that flatters most women, but if you agree, it's easy enough to lengthen a sweater design to the desired length. This is otherwise a quite attractive, classic sweater.

2 comments:

  1. spot on, except for the colorblock "sweatshirt" thing...i don't like anything about it...but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't understand cropped sweaters...either you need a sweater or you don't. Maybe that comes from living in Minnesota...?

    ReplyDelete