Friday 12 January 2018

Vogue Knitting Winter 2017/2018: A Review


Vogue Knitting has released its Winter 2017/2018 issue. Let's have a look at it.





Pattern #01, Yoked Pullover. Nice piece. The yoke design makes me think of hieroglyphics. (Also, I just spelled "hieroglyphics" correctly on the first try without any help from spell check or Google.)





Pattern #02, Persian Yoke Pullover. I like this one too. The colourway is vivid and unexpected.





Pattern #03, Cold Shoulder Yoke Pullover. I'm not a big fan of the cut-out effect in clothing, but I think it works here, and the piece has a fun, trendy feel that's balanced with classic shaping.





Pattern #04, Fringed Sleeve Pullover. I like this one on the whole, but I'd neaten up the fit and nix the sleeve fringe, which would drive me stark raving mad. Can you imagine trying to knit or eat a meal or for that matter use the bathroom with those fringes hanging over your hands?





Pattern #05, Reverse Yoke Pullover. This is attractive but I can't get past the feeling that it's on inside out.





Pattern #06, Chevron Pattern Yoke. This is rather pretty. I'd neaten up the fit.





Pattern #07, Modern Icelandic. Love this one, with its sharp, graphic appeal and good shaping.





Pattern #08, Fair Isle Pullover. Vogue Knitting is really going all out on interesting yoke designs in this issue. I like this one too.





Pattern #09, Viking Wrap. As regular readers of this blog will know, I am a hard sell on poncho designs, but I have to admit this one is kind of fantastic. Keeping it short in the front as the designer has done makes it flatteringly sweater-like while the back and sleeves have all the drama of a cape. And then there's the stitchwork and colourway, with the combination of mitred squares and a tartan-like effect created with grays and variegated yarn. If a woman walked by me on the street in this piece, I would definitely turn to look at her, as it is an undeniably and highly accomplished and creative design. Bravo.





Pattern #10, Boxy Crop Sweater. And now we turn from a tour de force of knitwear design to.... this one. This appears to be... a home ec project gone terribly wrong. It fits so poorly through the upper body that the ribbing is all stretched out, and there's an outright hole in the shoulder seam.





Pattern #11, Fitted Dress. This is also a home ec project, but it appears to have been created by Judy Jetson, and she would have gotten at least a B for it.





Pattern #12, Navy and White Pullover. I like this one, which has a smart, wearable look.





Pattern #13, Raglan Turtleneck Sweater. I rather like this one. The use of a larger gauge in the turtleneck and the lower body is a nice touch, and the shaping is good and flattering. This would be a good piece to use to showcase a bulky variegated yarn that you love.





Pattern #14, Brioche Rib Cowl. Smart and polished.





Pattern #15, Slouchy Pullover. This one's too baggy and dropped shouldered for my liking. Kudos to the Vogue Knitting stylist who put this look together, though. Adding a simple silk scarf made this look chic.





Pattern #16, Indigo and Ivory Boxes Ruana. I have the feeling that this is a vest that missed its calling in life and that should have become a scarf, or maybe a floor mat.





Pattern #17, Welts Pullover. Nice stitchwork in this one, but I would fix those dropped shoulders.





Pattern #18, Open Cable Cowl. Nice. I'm imagining it in a variety of beautiful variegated yarns.





Pattern #19, Mohair Cardigan. This has a sad-stretched out, look like a thrift store piece that's living in the forlorn hope that it'll get one more chance at a good home rather than wind up in a landfill.





Pattern #20, Sand Waves Poncho. This seems to be the issue where Vogue Knitting offers us poncho patterns I can't refuse. This one drapes so well, and the stitchwork is gorgeous.

9 comments:

  1. I feel the fit wouldn't have to be neatened up if the sweaters were shown on models of the proper size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of love that Judy Jetson dress! I wouldn't wear it in a million years, and I'm hard put to think of anyone else I know in real life who would, either. But as an impractical statement piece, I think it's pretty great. I agree with you on the ponchos, as well -- as a rule I think ponchos are hideous on anyone except little girls or tall, rail-thin models, but both of these are attractive and interesting. And I've never before been tempted by a yoke sweater pattern, but I like several of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely things. i'm fascinated by the open cable cowl. I wonder how fiddly it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yoke sweater patterns are everywhere lately amd Modern Icelandic is the first that’s appealed to me. The ponchos are indeed attractive but a staggering amount of knitting - the first is all in Koigu, second seems to be laceweight. Many thanks, as always, for bringing these to our attention and giving us your take on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on just about everything and kudo's on being good at spelling. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohohoh, #3 and #4 are absolutely out.. poor girl, she wears a sweater with a big hole, who pays the doctor???

    #4 has the correct colour when eating tomato soup.,.. you won't see the stains... and the tablecloth will be polkadotted after the dinner...

    #8: Stranded Knitting is NOT FairIsle!!!! When will they ever learn??

    #9: I don't think a Viking ever had a wrap like that, there is no relation visible, how could a viking discover America wearing such a monster?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a good issue, overall, and I am tempted by the Sand Waves poncho. Maybe my screen resolution isn’t high enough to do the other poncho (Viking) justice, but while I agree it looks great from a distance, the Koigu mitred squares take on a granny-square look up close that I find displeasing.

    I wonder to what extent the release of Kate Davies’s Yokes book last year influenced the planning for this issue. Is there just something in the air, or did she set this trend?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your comments--as usual!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. always enjoy your opinion and can't wait for your comments on Vogue late winter 2018...yikes most are pretty terrible

    ReplyDelete