Monday 10 August 2015

Vogue Knitting Fall 2015: A Review


Vogue Knitting has released its Fall 2015 issue. Let's have a look at what's currently en vogue, shall we?





Pattern # 1, Cabled Wrap. We begin this issue with a selection of teal-coloured designs, which (being that teal/turquoise is my favourite colour family) I applaud. This a good-looking wrap. The shape gives it a contemporary appeal. I do question how it's going to stay in place, but then I suppose that's where a shawl pin comes in handy.





Pattern #2, Raglan Pullover. A lovely classic with some fantastic distinctive detailing.





Pattern #3, Scoop-Neck Pullover. This isn't a bad design aesthetically speaking, but it will bulk up the wearer's figure.





Pattern #4, Travelling Cable Mitts. Very pretty and well-shaped.





Pattern #5, Seamless Cap. Nice cap. I like the way the cables from the ribbing have been integrated into the design.





Pattern #6, V-Neck Vest. This one made me decide that I really ought to have a classic cabled vest in a beautiful shade of teal in my wardrobe.





Pattern #7, Simple Pullover. Uninteresting and unflattering.





Pattern #8, Open Cardigan. Quite liking this one, which looks like the perfect thing to keep at the office for those chillier than expected days.





Pattern #9, Arrowhead Top. Interesting contemporary piece that's also really versatile. This one will look good with jeans or a wool skirt.





Pattern #10, Ribbed Vest. Er. Are we looking at the right side of this?





Pattern #11, Ribbed Turtleneck Cowl. Simple and wearable little topper.





Pattern #12, Cocoon Vest. This isn't a bad-looking piece, but it's going to ride up maddeningly every time the woman who wears it raises her arms at all. She'll wind up looking like a woman who was trying on something in a shop change room, got stuck with it half-off and half-on and, in her search for a sales associate who would help her out of her jam, accidentally wandered out on the street





Pattern #13, Striped Raglan Pullover. I'd want to neaten up the shaping of this, but it's pretty and pleasing enough.





Pattern #14, V-Neck Pullover. This looks like a scrap yarn sweater that the knitter made up as she or he went along, all the more so because the stripe across the front is being pulled out of shape by the ribbing at the neck. The yarns chosen for this piece do work together quite well, so there's that.





Pattern #15, Crew-Neck Pullover. This is very "eighties-era yarn company knitting pattern freebie pamphlet".





Pattern #16, Open-Front Cardigan. This is very "seventies-era Carly Simon concert wear".





Pattern #17, Waterfall Cardigan. This is very "upcycled thrift shop bathrobe".





Pattern #18, Colorblock Pullover. This is very "little-used Sesame Street character named C. Squared who is obsessed with pointing out the difference between squares and rectangles to children".





Pattern #19, Fair Isle Toque. Nice classic cap.





Pattern #20, Fringed Vest. For those days when you can't decide between business-like houndstooth or sherpa-style fringes and shapelessness.





Pattern #21, Graphic Sweater. How sharp is this terrific little piece?





Pattern #22, Round-Neck Sweater. I'm not really buying the visible colour changes as part of the design in this one. It just looks amateurish.





Pattern #23, Textured Pullover. This looks pretty good here, though I'm not crazy about the full side view aspect of it (shown in the other picture Vogue Knitting has of it on the preview page). The tapering side inserts don't look all that well-shaped.





Pattern #24, Kimono-Style Pullover. I just can't get on board with house-sized sweaters. They don't look good on anyone, even professional models.





Pattern #25, Winged Triangle Shawl. This is very Games of Thrones in the best possible way, i.e., in a cool emblematic way, not in a medieval-style brutality and misogyny way.





Pattern #26, Segmented Shawl. I'm finding this one has such visual buzz that it's bothering my eyes. The lace part of the shawl looks great, but the chain-stitched style panels are too over the top.





Pattern #27, Semi-Circular Knit Shawl. I've finding this one a little busy side too, though at least I can look straight at it without my eyes twitching. I'm not saying it's a bad design, mind you. It has a certain architectural appeal. As a matter of fact it looks so like a belfry in the black side version (shown on the right) that I keep expecting to see bats come flying out from under it.





Pattern #28, Double Knit Beanie. Cleverly designed reversible number.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe one item I'd consider knitting. This is making me think I won't be renewing my subscription next year. Wasn't too thrilled with the Interweave Knits I received today. Looking forward to your comments on that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pattern 2 and the hats are great. Not sure about some of those 80s - stash buster sweaters - I think they are best left in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't subscribe to VK any more but may have to pick up this issue for #21 (and I don't even do much color work). The teal vest is very nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you don't mind me using one of the pictures above and linking to your blog, in my own french blog, in a post about "teal" colour.
    http://www.bicyclaine.fr/blog/realisations/le-canard-est-teal-vert-ou-bleu
    thank you for reviewing Vogue Knitting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sense of humor is simply delightful. (What you wrote for pattern #12 is priceless.) Many thanks for making available pictures of the individual patterns in various knitting magazines, and for brightening my day.

    ReplyDelete