Friday 8 August 2014

Vogue Knitting Fall 2014: A Review


Vogue Knitting has released its Fall 2014 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Pattern #1, Hooded Cabled Scarf. This hooded scarf is shaped in such a way that it can also be worn as a shawl. Very clever and useful design with a timeless appeal in its cabled texture.





Pattern #2, Bateau-Neck Pullover. Classic cabled sweater. The cropped sleeve and hem length won't be for everyone, but can be lengthened.





Pattern #3, Deep V-Neck Cardigan. I quite like this one, which is one of those "classic with a twist" designs that appeal to me most. It's a take on the traditional cabled cardigan that catches the eye. The lines are good and face-framing. I even like the dropped shoulders, which are necessary here given the combined width of the neck and the ribbing around the neckline.





Pattern #4, Close-fitting Pullover. Another cabled pullover. The overall look is quite traditional, but there are some interesting components in this design, such as the laddered central panel and the textured stitch (which looks like some kind of double moss stitch) used for the sleeves.





Pattern #5, Long Cabled Coat. This piece has a certain suggestion of Renaissance fashion about it, with the corded effect at the shoulders and the combination of a high collar and cut-away neckline. It would be a little costume for me, but I can see it looking very stylish on the right person.





Pattern #6, Cabled Shell with Arm Warmers. This cabled tank is a nice classic piece, and the arm warmers are fine in their way, but wearing them as a set looks a little silly. Is Vogue Knitting going to present us with a matching shorts and legwarmers set next?





Pattern #7, Funnel-Neck Turtleneck. This is the cover design. The cables on this piece are interesting, but this isn't a terribly flattering item. I'd raise those dropped shoulders and neaten up the fit somewhat.





Pattern #8, Fretwork Pullover. Quite like this one. Those openwork cables are an interesting effect.





Pattern #9, Cabled Scarf. This is an okay piece. You may find it a little on the unwieldy side size-wise, but if you do, you can always cut it down in size.





Pattern #10, Cropped Cabled Pullover. This is really quite a beautifully detailed piece, though that cropped length is definitely not for everyone. I'd suggest lengthening it, but at first glance that twisted cabled detail in the center of the front looks like a hand from below desperately grasping a rope, and I'm kind of afraid of what making the sweater another six inches or so longer would reveal.





Pattern #11, Dolman Pullover. This look is maybe a little too Flashdance for me.





Pattern #11, Dolman Pullover. The less open neckline makes this a little less Flashdance, but it's still too much like a plain baggy sweatshirt for me. Like the variation on this design that preceded it, it's neither an interesting nor a flattering pattern.





Pattern #12, Hat. Nice little chevron cap.





Pattern #13, Mesh Sweater and Ribbed Scarf. I rather like this one. There's something pleasing about the layered texture of this mesh, and the plain solid scarf makes a nice contrast to it.





Pattern #14, Cowl. The scale of this cowl looks a little on the large side, but you can always downsize it, and the colours and texture are good.





Pattern #15, Long Vest. I don't know about this one. I can see it looking quite stylish on a clotheshorse type, but I think on most women it would look a bit much, and I want to scale it down somewhat and chop that back mullet hem to a length that's equal to the front hem.





Pattern #16, Colorblocked Poncho. At first glance I didn't like this, but now I think it's growing on me. It's got a certain modern appeal. I can't help but feel it needs some better detailing at the neck, though, and I would definitely fix the mullet hem. Why the mullet hem, designers? Do you think we otherwise won't be able to tell the front of our clothes from the back?





Pattern #17, Capelet. I like the idea of gathering a capelet in front, but I don't like this particular execution of it, which looks a little rough compared to the rest of this otherwise polished, textured piece.





Pattern #18, Intarsia Crew-Neck Pullover. Not sure I get the point of this one, with its somewhat pointless abstract design and random lines of hairy yarn. I keep thinking I'm watching a polar bear eat a seal, or looking at a knitted replica of early cave paintings.





Pattern #19, V-Neck Cardigan. This one's just dowdy. Even the model can't lend it any style.





Pattern #20, Hudson's Bay Pullover and Shawl. This set is, of course, based on the iconic Hudson's Bay striped wool blanket. It might be Canadian bias on my part, but I very much like these two pieces, which are an excellent knitted rendering of Hudson's Bay Company trademark stripes and work well in their own right. You could do these pieces in other colours and they would still work beautifully. HBC really ought to get this designer under contract if they haven't already.





Pattern #21, Zipper Embroidered Cardigan. Nice piece with a good shape and interesting detail. I think there are better colourways for the embroidery down the front, but it'll be easy to find them.





Pattern #22, Vibrant Colorwork Pullover. Very much like this one. The colourway is amazingly well worked out, and the design is fun in an adult way.





Pattern #23, Raglan Pullover. I think this one is Morticia Addams's idea of a Christmas sweater. I tease because I love — I actually do like this sweater, with its quite original and striking detailing (fab idea to embroider around that yoke!), and you could remove any lingering "Morticia at Christmas" associations I may have just saddled you with by doing it in another colourway.





Pattern #24, Duster Coat. Really nice piece. The shaping is great, and the bouclé collar, cuffs and hemline are excellent. I'd go with something other than the southwestern-style pattern at the hem and cuffs, but that's a personal preference, because it does work very well as is.





Pattern #25, Cocoon Coat. The details here are great (i.e., the collar, intarsia, and pockets) but the overall shape is frumpy. I'd shorten this to regular sweater length and neaten up the fit.





Pattern #26, Short-Sleeve Top. Something about this isn't working, and I can't quite figure out what. I think it might be the colourway, which isn't pulling together properly. I'd do this one in black, charcoal and light gray, white, and one vivid cool colour, such as red or magenta.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure I knitted design #18 from Vogue Knitting 1984!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a sucker for the Eileen Fisher aesthetic (I could never pay the prices, though) that I might have to knit #11. I agree that it's not particularly flattering, but it is the first "designer" pattern in Vogue Knitting that I am actually interested in. Usually their designer offerings are really ugly.

    ReplyDelete