Wednesday 6 August 2014

Twist Collective Fall 2014: A Review


Twist Collective has published their Fall 2014 issue, and it's a very solid effort from them. I don't think there's a single pattern in it that I wouldn't be willing to make myself, and I don't know when I've ever said that before. Let's have a look at it.





The Weft Cardigan. It's quite smart, and the shape is good.





The Hulabaloo socks. Nice pair of socks, but I don't really get the trend of styling such socks with pumps. Do women really wear socks with pumps, and if so, are they doing some ZZ Top video cosplaying?





The Kokliko scarf, cowl, and mittens set. It's very pretty, but I always do find a three-knitted set to be one piece too much. I'd knit just two of these.





The Smarty cardigan is wearable, well-shaped, and has striking, interesting detail.





The Safra design. This one has directions for making either the shawl or the scarf. They're both really lovely with some great detail, and will keep you warm without catching on everything as the design is not too lacy.





The Calais design is a nice piece of work. It's both distinctive and a piece that could be worn to death because it'll go nearly anywhere.





The Petersham mittens. Very much like these. I don't think I've ever seen the crossed wires design on mittens before, which makes them seem like something fresh and new.





The Oleada cap and mittens set. Fairly basic, but quite attractively so.





The Roxton pullover. Very much like this one. That front panel is an interesting look.





The Latifolia hat and mittens are very pretty. I know it may seem a too-obvious choice for a leaf-themed knit, but I picture these done in green.





The Akebia pullover is beautiful. I love a special yoke, and that line of red at neck, hem, and cuffs is just the finishing touch this design needs.





The Caledonia cardigan. Nice piece, and it can be done in either cotton or wool as it'll work for either a summer or a winter sweater.





The Grania tam and mittens. Very sharp and striking.





The Corvina cardigan. Lovely detailing on this one.





The Fluence shawl. Interesting and eye-catching piece for the more modern wardrobe. The interlocking zigzag edging is a really original touch.





The Ashling vest. I've seen a few designs recently with these kind of slits in them. It must be a mini-trend. It's not a trend I find unappealing, though it does require an underlayer. The cowl neckline and overall shape are good.





The Fynele hat and mittens. Another pretty little hat and mitts set.





The Sixpence shawl is a distinctive piece, and it's rare for me to say so of a shawl, because I see a lot of lovely lace shawls. The circular bands and the "sixpence" webbing at the border are both unusual, and an even more unusual combination, and yet it totally works.





The Heydey pullover. I quite like this one overall (good shape and great detail), though I would either keep those flaps at the neck tied, or even omit the ties and instead add a decorative metal clasp to it. Leaving the flaps open and the strings dangling is just too half-dressed an effect for me.





The Candlesmoke mittens. Love these. I am definitely more of a "curved lines" design person than a "graphic lines" design person, and these look Art Nouveau-esque.





The Hausti shawl. Very pretty.





The Falkirk cardigan. Nice piece. The colour scheme doesn't grab me, but that's personal preference because it is a combination that works, objectively speaking.





The Wheat Fields. Good-looking scarf. I think I'd add a fringe or a crocheted edging to this one. It looks a little unfinished as is.





The Greenery pullover. Love this one. The yoke's great, and using the same diamond pattern again at the hips is an creative, interesting touch.





The Cahoots cardigan. This is a really simple, classic piece. The contrast buttons are a way to spice it up, but it will work on its own merits with matched buttons too, especially if you knit it in a beautiful yarn and in a colour you love.





The Vasalisa mittens are lovely. Twist Collective does seem to love to do intricately designed accessories.





The Ravenscrag pullover is a lovely classic piece.





The Paria pullover is one of those designs that are simple enough to be wearable anywhere (as it is here with jeans and in a boat, or in the office with a wool skirt), and yet have just enough original detail to be sophisticated. This is an accomplished design.





The Tignish shawl. Beautiful piece, and I love that old rose colour, which is the only shade in the pink range that I can wear.





The Portiere pullover. Another reliable classic piece.





The Courant shawl. Wow. The colourwork and lacework in this one is something very unique. It looks like the detailing you'd find on the walls of some ancient mosque. Very impressive.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I've never heard of the Twist Collective before, but these are such yummy designs! I especially like the Greenery and Cahoots sweaters. Oh, and the gray cabled one in the canoe. And the leafy mittens. Aaaaack! I liked a lot of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the model for some of the sweaters isn't flat-chested for once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do people really wear shawls, especially younger girls? I'm always amazed at how many designs keep cropping up in knitting mags.

    ReplyDelete