Monday 2 June 2014

Noro Magazine Issue 4: A Review


As of today's review post, I'm adding a new magazine to the roster of knitting magazines that I review, Noro Magazine. It's a fairly new publication that has only reached its fourth issue. I ought to have been reviewing it from the very beginning as it launched after this blog did, but although I was dimly aware of it I never got around to looking into doing so until recently. Incidentally, if there is a knitting magazine out there that you would like me to start reviewing, feel free to post a comment or send me an email suggesting I do so. Just keep in mind that the proposed magazine will need to offer online preview pictures of its patterns if I'm to review them. There are several knitting magazines that I can't review for this reason, and I recently had to stop reviewing the former Knit n' Style because when it restyled itself as Knit Style it ceased to publish a full set of preview photos online.

Now, to the review of Noro Magazine. As you might expect from a knitting magazine produced by a yarn company, the focus is on showcasing (and, er, selling) the yarn rather than on design, and given that rich colours are Noro's trademark, we're looking at a photo shoot characterized by colour and what I can only call a "high street boho" kind of styling.





This is the Teardrop Vest. This is rather bulky and shapeless and would look kitschy and odd on most women.





The Cold Shoulder Pullover. I actually kind of like the shoulder cut-outs here — they give an otherwise standard shoulder a bit of sass — but the pattern combined with the colour combination is a little too afghan-like. I'd make this sweater in another yarn that didn't have that striped effect.





The Drop Shoulder Tee. This piece is on the bulky and shapeless side as well, but I suppose, like the Teardrop Vest above, it could work on the right woman, such as an art teacher whose clothes are more about colour and concept than about style or practicality. And there's nothing wrong with that — people who dress that way are always fun to have around because they're so visually interesting.





The Double Eyelet Tee. This is an adequate little summer top. The shaping could be a little better, but it has a fun, fresh look to it.





The A-Line Tunic. This is one of those designs that grew on me as I studied it. The shape is good and I especially like the shoulders of this tunic. I'd put it over a coordinating sheath though, rather than a shirt and trousers.





The Waterfall Vest. The stripes and stitchwork on this piece are very pretty, but this is going to be one difficult item for any woman who isn't a professional model to carry off. I'd take that yarn and pattern and shape them into a more conventional, wearable piece.





The Dragonscale and Cable Capelet. Very pretty and wearable capelet.





The Cabled Hooded Shrug. I think you'd have to be very young and cute to carry off that pixie hood. But I can see it working on the right person, though there definitely is a "Little Red Riding Hood took an acid trip to Grandmother's house" joke in there somewhere.





The Multi-Texture Cowl Neck Poncho. I must admit I like this much better than I ever thought I'd like a poncho. The colours and texture are pretty and this is a piece that will turn a t-shirt and jeans into an outfit.





The Open-Front Poncho. This is an interesting and original redesign of the poncho. And I like it — it's got a clean, contemporary shape, it will stay in place and allow the wearer to still use her arms, and the colours are very attractive.





The Flower Lace Scarf looks like something Little Red Riding Hood will see draped over the back of the toilet when she takes her acid trip to Granny's house.





The Lacy Scarf. I... don't mind this. It has a cohesion that the Flower Lace Scarf lacks, at any rate. I can see this looking quite pretty when worn with a coordinating simple summer dress.





Appliqued Tote. Please don't ruin a simple, classic bag by stitching crocheted crap all over it.





The Racer Track Bank. This looks like a mesh shopping bag with flotsam and jetsam randomly sewn around the neckline.

NEXT.





The Garter Stitch Jacket. This is really a lovely piece. The shape is so polished and the design so visually striking. One couldn't not notice this coat.





The Chevron Cowl. This is pretty, but it does look more like a swatch of afghan has been randomly tacked around this model's neck than like a professionally designed and shaped cowl.





The Feather and Fan Lace Shrug. I like the relaxed lines and rich colours of this shrug.





Feather and Fan Lace Blanket. This isn't bad. It's granny afghan-like, but the colours of the Noro are more sophisticated and subtly blended than the usual afghan of this type, which makes it look like it came from a new generation of granny afghans. This granny travels the world and wears jeans and turquoise and silver jewelry rather than watching The Price is Right and fussing over her ferns from her rocker.





The Asymmetric Shawl is lovely in an offbeat, interesting way.





Drop-Shoulder Pullover. This is a little too afghan-like. Better shaping would help this piece a lot.





The Oak Leaf Lace Socks. Interesting lacework.





The Faux Cable Socks. Classic stitchwork and very pretty colour striping.





The Spiral Lace Socks. Great texture.





Lattice Cable Socs. Love the stitchwork here, and the colours are so pretty.





The Eyelet Beanie. This is cute, but I'd recommend that older wearers consider omitting the flower.






Reversible Cowl. I very much like this one. The colour and texture combination is perfect.





The Mesh Wristers. These are... okay. I think the yarn choice isn't working terribly well here, because it's making these fingerless gloves look randomly striped and unfinished. A more definitely marked pattern of colour would have been a better choice for this very simple pattern.





The Lacy Wrap. This looks more like a Slice O'Afghan than like something one is supposed to actually wear.





The Mesh and Bobble Cowl is very pretty and fun in a way that one needn't be a teenager to wear.






The Entrelac Watch Cap. This looks a little weird, like knitting is growing out of the top of the hat.





Hyacinth Wrap. You can borrow clothes from your partner and make them look chic (hey, Chanel even did it), but you should not borrow wearing apparel from your couch.





The Bucket-Style Tote. I've seen better knitted bags, but this one is definitely acceptable. It has a good shape and I like that they've used a commercially made strap, which really elevates the tote and gives it a bit of style.

6 comments:

  1. I like some of these patterns OK, but I can't imagine seeing anyone in the real world wearing much of any of it...especially the way they styled these pieces. If I'm wearing some sweater with 80 billion colors, I'm sure going to wear simple black pants or jeans as a subtle background.
    Even the garter stitch jacket, that I agree looks fab, is partially undercut by the outfit under it.
    It's all pretty to look at, but only in an "art" sort of way, not in a practical garment sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really get it!! Perhaps if these items were styled over white clothing, plain pieces, then the color work would stand out without looking so over the top. I seriously doubt I will ever buy this magazine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Theme of Holes"?? I do like the A-Line Tunic and the Garter Stitch Jacket, and the socks are fun. Will have to think a bit before I buy this issue. I do own the first three issues, but this one has me puzzled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Lace Scarf, but everything else is hideous! Like, batty-old-lady hideous. TOO MANY COLORS OMG

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is too hard to get past the colors to really see the designs. This used to be called LOUD and is never pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bee tee dubs, VK/Soho produces this. Styling seems very much in line with Vogue Knitting.

    ReplyDelete