Tuesday 5 February 2013

A Sock Pattern That is Literally Epic


Hwaet! Listen! Let me tell you a tale of a pair of socks, that in turn tell the tale of Beowulf, the epic Old English poem dating from between the 8th and early 11th century. The text begins on one sock and continues on the other, and of course the colours mimic that of an aged manuscript and dried ink. The pattern is available as a $5 download from Verdant Gryphon, and if you never cared for Beowulf and are feeling up to a typographical design challenge, you could always knit a different text into your socks. Just don't go with a Stephanie Meyer quote. Trust me on this one.

It gives me the vapours to think how long this project would take to make, but I have to admit this is the ultimate literary tribute and knitting project, and that if you work on these in an English literature class, your professor won't have the heart to tell you to put your knitting away.

1 comment:

  1. I knit these for my English teacher! They really weren't that horrible of a knit. I knit socks like this inside out to keep the floats loose and use a chart keeper. I wish I had a picture of them. I'm awful at taking pictures before I give stuff away.

    ReplyDelete